Nowadays, geo-location is being used to find and determine the exact location of networking devices. This technology uses a global positioning system for assessing and specifying geographical locations. Pre-built GPS present in devices helps to propagate the longitudinal and latitudinal coordinates of the device. You can easily identify these coordinates on the map to get a complete address which includes the name of a country, city, building or address of the streets. At present business benefits of geolocalization portable are far-reaching and are being used in all types of enterprises like retail, financing services, insurances, manufacturing, etc.
Using geo-location technology two types of data can be collected:
- Active user or service device-based information
- Passive server-based lookup or data correlation
There are three main categories of geo-location data:
Geo-fencing: This feature uses GPS and radio frequency identification for defining geographical boundaries. It enables the administrator for setting up triggers and when the device enters the boundary an alert message is generated. The barriers of virtual geofence may be active or passive. In active geo-fence, there is an end-user who opts-in to the location services and the mobile app is kept open. Passive geo-fences are always kept on and these fences depend on cellular data and WiFi and generally work in the background.
Some of its practical uses:
- Drone management: This fencing is used in sports events for creating a temporarily non-flying zone which is useful for preventing drones so that they do not cross that defined parameter.
- Fleet management: This fencing alerts the dispatchers if any truck driver breaks his route.
- Human resource management: A smart card is given to the employees and if the employees try to enter the unauthorized area then the card will send an alert to the security.
Geo-coding: This is a process that changes the description of the location like physical address into an accurate location on the map. Thus, it enables the business owner to quickly access various locations.
- Recognizes geographical pattern: Addresses display location on maps which enable the users in recognizing different patterns. Thus, it is useful for analyzing crimes in different areas.
- Manages customer data: Data related to the customers is the most valuable thing in every business. Thus, geo-coding helps map the location of the customer so that they can make different marketing strategies for their specific number of customers.
- Analyzes address data: It is helpful for the local government for tracking the growth of the population so that they can decide where to build school, hospital, etc.
Geo-tagging: It is mainly a process that allows you to attach your physical location to your photographs. It enables the users or your friends to know your exact location like where you are now or where you have been.
- Suppose you want to tweet about a restaurant where you are having dinner then you can tag the location of that restaurant and post it on social media.
- You can post photos and videos online by adding a location using caption tab.